Being accountable for your actions means that you are 100 percent answerable for everything that you do. To take this brave step to be responsible for everything that happens to you is one of the most powerful things you can do to eliminate a lot of negative feelings, emotions and beliefs from your life.
Once you realize that you are accountable for shaping your life you take away the power from others and begin to create the future that is right for you. You will no longer be in a position to shame or blame others for what happens to you and you will no longer tolerate accepting the blame for what others have done for themselves.
Once that you admit that you are responsible for it all, then there is nowhere to hide. Excuses like “I did not know”, “it’s not my job” or “What they don’t know won’t hurt them no longer become viable.
Are you wondering how to become more accountable in your life. Here are some ways –I keep a journal of my activities and see if they are in line with my ethics and values
- My private life is the same as my public life
- All of my communications are accurate and precise
- I never assume anything about anyone
- I own the problems that create my negative circumstances
- As soon as I make a mistake I admit it
- I review my actions to see if I have made or am making mistakes
- I review my actions and ask myself “What more can I do to really excel”
- I am not threatened by feedback
- I am a model of accountability at home and work
- I am not scared to confront the lack of accountability in others
- I periodically review and assess my goals to make sure that they are in line with who I am and what I really want out of life.
Accountability also means doing things that are meaningful to yourself and others. Accountable people avoid mindless work that that does not engage their hearts and minds.
People who are accountable are also accountable for how they spend their time. They do not waste their talents or spend a lot of time on mindless tasks. They know how to delegate work to others and stay appropriately active according to their talents and abilities.
People who are accountable in life do better because they are better able to stand and deliver when it is time to perform. As they are never held back by doubts and are confident that they can handle anything that comes their way.